A Distribution Group is a group whose members can receive email messages sent to it.
A Distribution List/Group is not designed for bulk mailing. For more information on bulk mailing services at FSU, please reference the following page: http://its.fsu.edu/service-catalog/communication-collaboration/mass-emails
Please note that Exchange Online has the following limits with regards to message limits and recipient and sender limits:
- Message size* | Outlook: 150 MB; Outlook for Mac: 150 MB; OWA: 112 MB; Migration: 150 MB
- Subject length | 255 characters
- File attachments | 250 attachments
- File attachment size | Outlook: 150 MB; Outlook for Mac: 150 MB; OWA: 35 MB
- Multipart message | 250 parts
- Embedded message depth | 30 embedded messages
*Individual department email systems may have varying message size limits; please check with your department on their maximum message size limits.
Recipient and Sender Limits
- Messages received | 3,600 messages/hour
- Recipient rate | 10,000 recipients/day
- Recipients | 500 recipients
- Message rate | 30 messages/minute (SMTP client submission only)
To request a Distribution Group please submit a case at http://servicecenter.fsu.edu. When requesting a new Distribution Group, please provide the following information:
- Description – Include a short description to describe the purpose of the Distribution Group.
- Department – Include the full department name and the 3 or 4 letter department abbreviation to identify ownership and possible location of the Distribution Group.
- AD Name – The AD Name must be in the format of COLL-RequestedName, DEPT-RequestedName, or ORG-RequestedName. College, department, or organization abbreviation must precede the requested name. (Note: DL can also be included in the AD Name to make it easier to identify distribution groups).
- Display Name – The name that is displayed in the Global Address List (GAL). By default, the AD Name is used. Anything else must have Branding approval. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request Branding approval for a Display Name that does not match the AD Name.
- Primary SMTP Address - The primary email address of the account. By default, the AD Name followed by @fsu.edu is used. All other primary SMTP requests followed by @fsu.edu must have branding approval. Primary SMTPs requested on a departmental email domain (e.g. @DEPT.fsu.edu) must have the approval of the departmental IT staff.
- Secondary SMTP Address - Additional email addresses can be requested for Distribution Groups to receive mail.
- Internal/External Receive Groups – By default, Distribution Groups are restricted to receive mail from internal @fsu.edu senders only. The restriction can be removed by request.
- Hidden from the Global Address List - By default, Distribution Groups are not hidden from the Global Address List, but this can be done by request.
- Manager - The person listed as the technical manager of the Distribution Group. Having the technical manager contact information is helpful for organizational purposes.