There are three ways to access your generic mailbox. You can connect to the generic mailbox directly, add the generic mailbox as an additional mailbox to the delegated user’s mailbox, or access it via Outlook Web App (OWA).
To access the generic mailbox via Outlook Web App (OWA)
- Open a browser and browse to the following site: https://outlook.com/fsu.edu
- Log-in with your credentials
- In the top right select the person icon
- From the drop down select Open another mailbox
- Type in the name of the of the generic mailbox: ‘dept-mailbox'
- Click Open. You should now see your generic mailbox open in a new tab.
Access from Outlook for Windows:
- Open the Mail setting in the control panel.
- Click on Show Profiles
- Click on Add…
- Give the profile a name – 'dept-mailbox' and click OK
- On the Add New Account dialog box:
- Select Manually configure server settings…
- Select Microsoft Exchange or compatible service
- For the server settings, enter:
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- Uncheck Use Cached Exchange Mode (only for generic mailboxes)
- Username: 'dept-mailbox'
- Click Next, then Finish
- Select the Prompt for a profile to be used radio button
- Click OK
- Launch Outlook and select the profile created above for the generic mailbox
- If you are prompted to login, enter your AD credentials that were delegated to the generic mailbox
You can also add it as an additional mailbox:
- Within Outlook, select File from the menu
- Click on the Account Settings button and select Account Settings
- In the Account Settings dialog box, click on the Change… button
- Click on More Settings…
- In the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, click on the Advanced tab at the top
- Under Open these additional mailboxes: click the Add… button
- Enter the name of the generic mailbox and click OK
- Repeat the steps above for each additional mailbox you wish to add
- Click OK
- Click Next then Finish to return to the Account Settings dialog box
- Click Close to return to the Outlook client
- The generic mailbox will now appear as an additional folder tree in your folder list on the left hand side of your Outlook client below your personal mailbox
Access from Outlook for Mac:
- In your Outlook for Mac email client, select Tools along the top, then Accounts
- Your primary email account will be populated. Click Advanced in the bottom right
- On the next screen, select the Delegates tab and on the bottom left hand select the + symbol, then hit OK
- In the search field, enter the email address of the generic/shared mailbox you have full access to, then click Find
- Once you have located the generic/shared mailbox select it, and click OK
- The shared mailbox will now be added to a list of all the People I am a delegate for: Once you see the mailbox in this list, click OK
- You will now see the generic/shared mailbox on the left hand side under your primary email account. Please allow some time for your newly added mailbox to populate.