A generic account is an account that is used by a service or application. Generic accounts are not mail-enabled and users are not permitted to use them as temporary accounts.
To request a generic account, please submit a support request with the following information:
- Description - Include a short description for the purpose of the account.
- Department - Include the full department name and the 3 or 4 letter department abbreviation.
- User logon name - Anything other than COLL-RequestedName, DEPT-RequestedName, or ORG-RequestedName will need branding approval.
- Display name - The name that is both displayed in the Global Address List (GAL) and on an email when sending messages. By default, the user logon name is used.
- Full name - The full name of the account. By default, the user logon name is used.
- (Optional) Manager - The person listed as the technical manager of the generic mailbox account. Having the technical manager contact information is helpful for organizational purposes.
- (Optional) Group membership – List any security groups for which this account will need to be a member.
- (Optional) Computer logon – A generic account can be configured to logon to a computer. By default, this is not configured but can be by request.
Please note, individual employees may not request a generic account, only departments may submit requests.