- VPN Release Notes/User Guide for Cisco VPN Client (Release 5.0.07)
- Terminate all applications and windows on your workstation.
- Get the VPN client:
- Save it in your C:\Temp folder (if you do not already have a C:\Temp folder, create one first)
- Go to My Computer > C:\ drive >Temp folder.
- Double click on the vpnclient-win.exe file.
- Change the folder to C:\Temp\VPN
- Unzip all files to that folder.
- Go to My Computer > C:\ drive >Temp folder >VPN folder.
- Double click on setup.exe
- Accept all the defaults.
- After the Installation has finished, you will need to reboot your computer.
- Obtain a VPN User Guide - (DOWNLOAD)
Please follow the installation directions given in the user guide.
Starting a VPN Connection:
- Click on Start > Programs > Cisco Systems VPN Client > VPN Client.
- In the Connection Entry window there should be only one entry, this corresponding to the profile you previously copied into the Profiles directory.
- Click on the Connect icon.
- You will be asked for your username and password. Enter your FSUID and password.
- Once you successfully authenticate, the window will disappear, and you will see a lock icon in the system tray.
- This lets you know the VPN tunnel is up and active.
- Any traffic sent to the FSU network will take the tunnel.
- You can verify your connection status by double-clicking on the lock.
- The VPN Client window will re-appear, with a Disconnect icon replacing the Connect icon.
- You can also get tunnel statistics by clicking on Statistics under the Status pull-down menu.
- If after you type in your password, you keep getting the User Authentication window, this means your password is not correct. Please try again. If you certain that your password is correct, please contact the ITS Service Desk at 644-HELP (850-644-4357) for assistance.
During the VPN Session
While the connection is active, traffic destined for FSU is sent through the VPN tunnel, while all other traffic is routed normally. All applications should perform normally.
Shutting Down a VPN Session
To close a VPN session, simply right click on the "lock" and click on Disconnect. The lock will disappear.